Friday, June 24, 2011

$22 DIY Camera Slider - Code Name: KronoX

Update 7-4-11: I removed the mystery pex from the inside of the sliding platform. It works great without it! Also, something i tried is I applied "Armor All" original to the broom sticks and buffed it in really well. It now slides like it was on bearings. A simple 10 degree tilt at one end and it easily slides to the other. If I didn't know any better I would say its even quieter as well, very silent. 


Update 7-3-11:  Something I forgot to add is that my broom sticks have small grooves on the outside.  I intentionally chose this because my theory is that the grooves will create less surface tension on the sliders and would create lens friction and therefor less noise.  One other thing, in the top 90 degree elbows where the broom enters I had cut small pieces of the mystery pex (working on what exactly it is and will update) to simply give the broom less room to move.

Today I have the pleasure of introducing to you my latest DIY project, a camera slider.  I call it KronoX with emphasis on the X for obvious reasons.  This design will give you the combination of looking professional, lightweight frame, easy to build, and inexpensive all in the same package!





This puppy totals to approximately $22 and I purchased my PVC from Home Depot.

Parts You will Need:
1 - 10ft 3/4inch PVC
2 - 3/4inch Cross Pieces
4 - 90 degree elbows                                
4 - slip caps
4 - 45 degree elbows
8 - Tee's

Cut sizes of PVC:
12 - 1 5/8 inch pieces
2 - 41 1/4 inch pieces
2 - 2 1/2 inch pieces
2 - 2 3/8 inch pieces

Other Parts:
2 - $1.75 broom's from family dollar (or somewhere with cheap brooms, lengths may vary and you will have to adjust the length of your  two 3/4 inch long pieces of PVC.)
1 - eight pack of 1 inch sliding feet with sticky pads from Dollar Tree.
14 - 1 inch screws
1 - Cheap walmart cutting board.

Cut sizes of other parts:
1 - 6 inch x 6 inch poly cutting board piece
1 - 8 1/2 inch x 5 inch poly cutting board piece
2 - Cut broom sticks to final length of 42 1/4 inch

Optional:
-Poly fill
-1" thin wall pex, where ever you may find it.  I would get the brooms first then bring the sticks in with you to make sure whatever you get the handle fits through the tube.  The I.D. of the tube is 1" so this is why I call it so.

Tools required:
-Chop Saw Recommend (hand saw may work fine)
-Marker
-Tape Measure
-Screw driver
-Drill
-Small and Large drill bits
-Sand paper optional, but you might want some to take off edges.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this wonderful post. Before, you needed to be handy to enough to drill and tap your own threads into the track, now the slider comes predrilled with 3/8 threads to mount on a tripod and attach a fluid head.

    Camera Slider

    ReplyDelete